Take Two And Sneak Home In The Morning


Man, am I tired. With the past week and it’s foolishness in the rearview and a birthday drawing closer on the horizon I am beginning to feel my age — or maybe someone else’s age. Either way, I am one tired pup.

I spent the better part of last week under the weather. Leave it to a good ol’ case of the crud to make you stick to your New Year’s resolutions of losing weight, resting more and cutting back on caffeine. I just didn’t think it would come in the form of only having clear liquids in the system and barely keeping your eyes open, but I digress.

After five days laid up at home and two at work playing catchup, the weekend was set to be my opportunity to tackle my never-ending, constantly evolving to-do list. I kicked off Saturday making pancakes to freeze for weekday breakfasts when I got a text from Wendi reminding me our friend Jeff was in town.

The eternal struggle began: be an adult and catch up on chores, like putting away the laundry and finishing up the dishes I’d just started washing, or go relax and have some fun with my friends?

Care to place a wager on which side won?

I finished the pancake extravaganza, swapped my hobbit feet house slippers for my tennis shoes and out the door to Wendi’s I went to enjoy some much needed time with good friends just shooting the breeze. We watched the season finale of American Horror Story, gossiped a little and solved a few world problems over pizza.

The conversation moved to the kitchen table over a game of cards. We laughed until my stomach hurt and tears rolled down my cheeks. The next thing we knew, it was 3 a.m. —  I was the winner of Phase 10, and the three of us — who normally would have been ready for slumber — were still going strong. We’d made it that far, we might as well play rummy.

Another two hours went by before we were finally ready to call it an evening. I nearly felt like a teenager sneaking back in the house that late, trying not to wake up the hubby or the four-legged home security system. Thankfully, my stealth ninja skills were still intact, and both factions remained unaware of my entry.

One night of camaraderie did what a week’s worth of medication couldn’t — I felt back to normal.

They say that laughter is the best medicine, and I would tend to agree. As I look forward to a fast-paced, jam-packed week, I’m already tired. As I write this, I would be a liar if I didn’t say my recliner is beckoning for a lazy Sunday afternoon nap — but I can also say I am doing it with a contented smile on my face and a spring in my step.

Leave a Reply