Patient’s Wearing Thin

I am the world’s worst patient. There, I said it, and hubby now has it in writing that I have admitted it. Since we returned from Kentucky, I’ve been fighting off a cold without much success.
During the past week it has morphed from a stuffy nose to a cough that just won’t to go away, no matter how much medicine I throw at it. I’ve tried Mucinex, DayQuil, NyQuil, Chloraseptic and various generic medications in between.
On Saturday the cough took on a whole new level of ferocity, and I was couch-bound for the majority of the day and night. I was not a happy camper; between feeling awful and the first snow of the year, I was more than a bit irritable.
I don’t like sitting idly at home, and I especially didn’t appreciate this cough sidelining me from being able to spend the evening with friends at two different gatherings. Not to mention the cough decided to bring its friend, wheezing, to the mix.
I swear this cold is like a twisted version of the seven dwarves — Coughy, Chilly, Sneezy, Wheezy, Dry Mouth, Achy and Blech. To add further indignity, my Sahara Desert mouth poured out into the glass shard and razor blade landscape that was my throat. Desert. Glass. Desert. Blade. Thankfully, this trend dissipated quickly, and I was just left with sand and no oasis.
By Sunday, I would have preferred to stay home and sleep — but alas, it was my weekend to work, so that was a no-go. I also had to run to the store for a long-overdue grocery trip and to acquire all of the things needed for Turkey Day.
Holy cow! You’d think I’d chosen to brave a supermarket on the Sunday before a major food holiday following a snowstorm. Everybody and their mother, brother, sister, cousin, next door neighbor, college roommate and uncle twice removed were at the store. And to top it all off, it was apparently also time for restocking as I navigated the obstacles of bodies and boxes up and down the aisles.
I’ll admit, I got frustrated. I got overheated. I had to take off my jacket and acquire a beverage halfway through to keep going. I’m not a huge fan of large crowds. I am not sure there is really anyone who is. But what can you do about it? Besides staying home and skipping the family meal, I wasn’t left with too many options.
One overflowing cart and more than an hour later, I stood in the checkout lane. I was one of many, all looking for the faster line that would help us escape a bit faster. But what amazed me was, as I stood in the line for what I am sure was well over 10 minutes, I was calm.
I wasn’t angry. I wasn’t whiny because I still didn’t feel good. Oddly enough, I felt a sense of calm and gratitude. I was grateful to have a job that, even though I work an occasional weekend, offers the flexibility that I wasn’t on a deadline to get in by a certain time.
I was grateful for the ability to pay for the groceries in my cart and for family to share a meal with. I know people who have lacked one or both at different times in their lives (myself included), so to have both now, I am grateful.
So, as I am writing this, Wheezy, Coughy and I are still closer than I’d like them to be, and I wish they’d get the hint to find somewhere else to spend the holidays. But I am grateful to have you reading my ramblings and the ability to share my musings with you. Thank you!

Leave a Reply